qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 and sysbus devices

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 and sysbus devices
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:49:16 +0300

On 03/22/2017 10:46 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
On 03/22/17 21:31, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
Hi,

I am investigating the current status of has_dynamic_sysbus and
sysbus device support on each of QEMU's machine types. The good
news is that almost all has_dynamic_sysbus=1 machines have their
own internal (often short) whitelist of supported sysbus device
types, and automatically reject unsupported devices.

...except for q35.

q35 currently accepts all sys-bus-device subtypes on "-device",
and today this includes the following 23 devices:

* allwinner-ahci
* amd-iommu
* cfi.pflash01
* esp
* fw_cfg_io
* fw_cfg_mem
* generic-sdhci
* hpet
* intel-iommu
* ioapic
* isabus-bridge
* kvmclock
* kvm-ioapic
* kvmvapic
* SUNW,fdtwo
* sysbus-ahci
* sysbus-fdc
* sysbus-ohci
* unimplemented-device
* virtio-mmio
* xen-backend
* xen-sysdev

My question is: do all those devices really make sense to be used
with "-device" on q35?

I think fw_cfg_io and fw_cfg_mem should be board-only devices (no
-device switch).

Regarding cfi.pflash01, I think originally it would have been nice to
specify pflash chips with the modern (non-legacy) syntax, that is,
separate -drive if=none,file=... backend options combined with -device
cfi.pflash01,drive=... frontend options. However, that ship has sailed,
even libvirt uses -drive if=pflash for these, and given the purpose we
use pflash chips for, on Q35, I don't see much benefit in exposing
cfi.pflash01 with a naked -device *now*.

Re: virtio-mmio, I don't think that should be available on Q35 at all.

I can't comment on the rest.

Hi Eduardo,
Thanks for finding these problems.

We should ping all maintainers of the above devices, the best way to do it
is to add the "cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet = true" and ask
maintainers
to agree (or not) on that.

Thanks,
Marcel

Thanks
Laszlo

Should we make q35 validate dynamic sysbus
devices against a whitelist, like the other has_dynamic_sysbus
machines?

I'm asking this because I will resume work on the
"query-device-slots" command, which will report supported sysbus
devices too. And I don't want the new command to report any
devices that it shouldn't.