qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 13/19] unimplemented-device: Remove user_creatable

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 13/19] unimplemented-device: Remove user_creatable flag
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:34:16 -0300

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 1 April 2017 at 01:46, Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:
> > unimplemented-device needs to be created and mapped using
> > create_unimplemented_device()
>
> This isn't correct -- create_unimplemented_device() is
> just a utility function; you can create, configure, initialize
> and map it "by hand" if you want.

OK, I will rewrite it.

> > and won't work with -device.
>
> This is true, though, as with any sysbus device that has
> a memory region.
>
> > Remove the user_creatable flag from the device class.
>
> I'm obviously missing context, because in master it doesn't
> have code to set the user_creatable flag in the first place.

This is in patch 01/19: cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet
was replaced with !user_creatable.

> Wouldn't it be better to just not add that, rather than
> add it and then delete it?

The device was already user-creatable, but it was not explicit in
the code. Patch 03/19 sets user_creatable=false on sysbus but
adds explicit user_creatable=true on the 20 devices that are
currently accepted by qemu-system-x86_64. The remaining patches
clear user_creatable on individual devices types.

--
Eduardo