qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.9.0 is now available

From: Michael Roth
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 2.9.0 is now available
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:25:20 -0500

Hello,

On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
the QEMU 2.9.0 release. This release contains 2300+ commits from 199
authors.

You can grab the tarball from our download page here:

  http://www.qemu.org/download/#source

The full list of changes are available at:

  http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.9

Highlights include:

 * I/O-polling support for virtio-blk (and virtio-scsi experimentally), which
   can improve I/O-heavy workloads by as much as 10-20%
 * Core support for MTTCG (multi-threaded TCG emulation), now enabled by
   default for Alpha and ARM on x86 machines
 * Hardware-acceleration support for x86 guests on Windows via HAXM
 * Hotplug and HMAC algorithm support for virtio-crypto devices
 * vhost support for virtio-pci devices behind a guest IOMMU
 * Many stability fixes for XHCI emulation
 * Significant security improvements and I/O throttling support for
   virtfs/virtio-9p
 * Texinfo documentation for all QMP commands and events
 * Postcopy migration can now by used for guests using hugetlbfs-backed memory

 * ARM: support for MTTCG (see above)
 * ARM: support for hardware RNG, BCM2835 SD card controller, and GPIO
   controller when emulating Raspberry Pi board.
 * MIPS: support for MIPS Boston board on MIPS64EL
 * Nios2: Initial support for Nios-II R1 boards, emulating 10M50 development
   kit with Nios2 GHRD loaded in the FPGA
 * OpenRISC: Lots of fixes and new instructions
 * PowerPC: support for many new POWER9 instructions via TCG emulation, new
   "40p" machine type, and pseries support for H_SIGNAL_SYS_RESET hypercall
 * s390: support for multiple buses for zPCI, virtio-crypto, and booting via
   network.
 * SPARC: rewritten support for Niagara
 * Tricore: support for many additional instructions
 * x86: support for 5-level paging under TCG emulation, caching mode support
   for emulation guest IOMMU, and SMI feature negotiation for q35 machines.
 * Xtensa: support for -icount

 * and lots more...

Thank you to everyone involved!