qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] question about block size and virtual disks

From: Chris Friesen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] question about block size and virtual disks
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:03:37 -0600

Hi,

Suppose the host has a physical disk that only supports 4KB access, with no 512B fallback.

If we boot a guest with "cache=none", does the guest need to be able to handle disks with 4KB blocks or is qemu able to handle guests trying to access the disk with 512B granularity?

Also, does the 4KB block size get "passed-through" to the guest somehow so that the guest knows it needs to use 4KB blocks, or does that need to be explicitly specified via virtio-blk-pci.logical_block_size and/or virtio-blk-pci.physical_block_size parameters? (Assuming I'm using virtio-blk-pci.)

Thanks,
Chris