qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] error: qcrypto_random_bytes() tried to read from /dev/[

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] error: qcrypto_random_bytes() tried to read from /dev/[u]random, even on windows
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:52:30 +0100

On 24 April 2017 at 14:36, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> FYI, both gnutls and openssl use these CryptAcquireContext/CryptGenRandom
> methods, so I'd prefer to stick with that.

They probably need the full crypto API anyway, though...

> It seems we merely need to set CRYPT_SILENT in the flags to prevent any
> chance of interactive prompts.
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa379886(v=vs.85).aspx

How about CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT? The docs say "in most cases this flag
should be set".

This kind of discussion puts me off the Crypt* APIs though -- they're
a complicated API that can easily be misused. "Please just fill
this buffer with randomness" is a simple API that's hard to call
wrongly...

thanks
-- PMM