qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] cpu_io_recompile, icount, and re-issued instructions

From: Michael Eager
Subject: [Qemu-devel] cpu_io_recompile, icount, and re-issued instructions
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:55:01 -0700

I'm working with an emulation for a proprietary processor on an older QEMU source base. It looks like the problem I am seeing in the old sources would still be present in the current source base.

I'm seeing incorrect values when there is a write to a memory-mapped I/O device when icount is set. What I see happening is that a TB with ~20 instructions is executed which contains a write to the MM I/O address. When it gets to the io_write routine, can_do_io is false, which results in a call to cpu_io_recompile.

cpu_io_recompile does what it (sort of) says it is supposed to do: it builds a new TB with the I/O instruction as the last instruction in the block, then re-issues the TB. The problem is that the new TB contains the instructions before the I/O instruction, so they are executed a second time.

There is a note in cpu_io_recompile which mentions the situation where the I/O instruction is not the first in the TB has not been handled:

    /* TODO: If env->pc != tb->pc (i.e. the faulting instruction was not
     * the first in the TB) then we end up generating a whole new TB and
     *  repeating the fault, which is horribly inefficient.
     *  Better would be to execute just this insn uncached, or generate a
     *  second new TB.

I'm a bit unclear what this is saying. A new TB is generated which is issued setting can_do_io, and which passes through io_write without a problem. I'm not sure what fault is repeated.

It seems to me that what cpu_io_recompile should do is create a new TB with the n instructions which were already executed and cache it. Then it should create a TB with only the I/O instruction, setting can_do_io, and re-issue this TB.

Am I understanding this correctly?

This code has been around for a long, long time.  Has anyone noticed this
problem in the past?

--
Michael Eager    address@hidden
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077