qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] format=raw,readonly errors

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] format=raw,readonly errors
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 18:47:31 +0200

On 08.05.2017 18:33, Carl Karsten wrote:

>> -drive
>>
>>>  "write operations on block 0 will be restricted."
>>>
>>> Is there a way to explicitly enable that?
>>
>> Yes. Pass format=raw at the right place (in other words, instead of
>> getting the 'raw' format driver by default, explicitly mentioning that
>> you KNOW you want the 'raw' format driver is enough to shut up the
>> warning).
>>

> according to the warning: "Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove
> the restrictions."
>
> I want the restriction.
>
> format=raw, (write operations on block 0)=restricted

Well, the restriction won't prevent all writes to the first sector,
though; it will only prevent writes which would make the image look like
it was in some non-raw format. So this is probably not what you want anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't know any current way to "soft" write-protect an
image. It sounds like an interesting idea, though, and should be simple
enough to implement e.g. in the raw driver.

Max