qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 6/6] hw/usb/dev-serial: Do not try to set vendori

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 6/6] hw/usb/dev-serial: Do not try to set vendorid or productid properties
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 18:12:16 +0200

  Hi,

> >> Feel free to send an additional cleanup patch ... otherwise, I'd say let
> >> it bitrot for another year and we then remove it completely together
> >> with all the other "-usbdevice" functions...
> >
> > Well, Coverity reports it so I'd rather keep it clean...

It will be clean once removed, I likewise wouldn't put too much effort
into code which is scheduled for removal anyway, especially for more or
less cosmetic issues like unreachable code.

> Hmm, maybe we should simply remove "-usbdevice serial" right now already
> ... ? The vendorid/productid parameter handling has been broken since
> QEMU v0.14 already and nobody ever complained, so I guess hardly anybody
> is using "-usbdevice serial" anymore ... so I tend to simply remove it
> directly instead of going through the typical "mark-as-deprecated ->
> wait-two-release-cycles -> finally-remove-it" process here...

Hmm, there is little reason to set vendorid + productid, so that alone
is no strong indication that -usbdevice serial is unused.  But
nevertheless I think it usb-serial is one of the rarely used devices, so
we could try ...

Order is probably along these lines:

usb hid devices are used alot (tablet on x86, all on !x86).
usb-storage comes next I guess.
usb-host (aka pass-through) is important too of course.

Everything else (serial, net, bluetooth) is largely unused I guess.

ccid, uas and mtp are new enough to not carry around -usbdevice
compatibility support.

cheers,
  Gerd