qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/3] qemu-ga: add support for events

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/3] qemu-ga: add support for events
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:53:37 -0500

On 06/23/2017 08:02 AM, Tomáš Golembiovský wrote:
> Events can play an integral role when monitoring internal state of the
> guest OS. This patch adds the core functionality for adding events to
> QEMU Guest Agent.

Will sending events confuse existing clients that aren't expecting them?
Do we need to add some sort of protocol handshake when the client first
connects so that we know whether the client is able to parse events
(including ignoring unknown events)?  (It's a shame that events were
built into QMP from the beginning, so we've never had to figure out how
to portably hand-shake a client/server negotiation on additional
features to be used across the wire)

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266