qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 19/21] tests: Add unit tests for the VM Generatio

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 19/21] tests: Add unit tests for the VM Generation ID feature
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:47:25 +0100

On 12 July 2017 at 00:43, Ben Warren <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, it’s definitely a setup time problem.  With the values that are checked
> in, I can’t get it to fail on my setup, but if I wind the numbers down I see
> the same failure as Peter.  So now we have the ages-old problem of “what new
> arbitrary value should I use that will not cause false failures but will
> eventually time out”.

Empirically, we already have an answer to this, in the form
of the existing code in tests/boot-sector.c, which is used
by both that test and the bios-tables-test.c code to wait
for the BIOS initialization to complete, and which doesn't
cause false test timeouts in practice.

Can we make this test just use that existing function to
wait for the BIOS to be done, rather than having its own
timeout loop?

thanks
-- PMM