qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] RFC on Backup tool

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] RFC on Backup tool
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 14:33:32 +0100

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 03:18:35PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Sun, 07/16 02:13, Ishani Chugh wrote:
> > +"""
> > +This file is an implementation of backup tool
> > +"""
> > +from argparse import ArgumentParser
> > +import os
> > +import errno
> > +from socket import error as socket_error
> > +import configparser
>
> Python2 has ConfigParser while python3 has configparser. Please be specific
> about the python compatibility level of this script - my system (Fedora) has
> python2 as /usr/bin/python, so the shebang and your example command in the
> commit message don't really work. "six" module can handle python 2/3
> differentiations, or you can use '#!/usr/bin/env python2' to specify a python
> version explicitly.

I haven't compared Python 2 ConfigParser and Python 3 configparser in
detail, but I they have a common API subset.  It should be possible to
do something like:

  try:
      from configparser import ConfigParser # Python 3
  except ImportError:
      from ConfigParser import ConfigParser # Python 2

> > +from qmp import QEMUMonitorProtocol
> > +
> > +
> > +class BackupTool(object):
> > +    """BackupTool Class"""
> > +    def __init__(self, config_file='backup.ini'):
>
> Is it better to put this in a more predictable place such as
> "$HOME/.qemu-backup.ini" and/or make it a command line option?

Yes, it's common to take a configuration file path on the command-line
with a default value of $HOME/.program-name if no command-line option
was given.