qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can I mount encrypt qcow2?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can I mount encrypt qcow2?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:26:42 -0500

On 07/24/2017 11:26 PM, lampahome wrote:
> I thought 2.9.0 is the latest and check to the wrong commit.

You're still top-posting, even after being told not to:
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

> Now it supports encryption.
>
> My cmd is:
>
>> qemu-nbd --object secret,id=sec0,file=passwd.txt,format=raw \
>>              --image-opts
>> driver=qcow2,file.filename=demo.qcow2,encrypt.format=luks,encrypt.key-secret=sec0

This says to open an existing already-encrypted image...

> But it shows error message:
>
>> No encryption in image header, but options specified format 'luks'

...and this says your image was not already encrypted.

> Something wrong?
>
> My procedure is below:
> 1. create a clean demo.qcow2 image(no compression, no encryption)
> 2. use the cmd above to encrypt the demo.qcow2 image

Indeed, if you want an encrypted image, you must create it encrypted up
front (you can't do an in-place encryption after the fact).  qemu-img
convert is probably the easiest way to copy a non-encrypted image to a
newly-created encrypted image.

>> On 07/23/2017 08:49 PM, 陳培泓 wrote:
>>> I check to the newest version of qemu.
>>
>> You're still top-posting, which makes it really hard to answer your
>> questions.

Here's where I previously asked you to avoid top-posting.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266