qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Trying to use ccid-card-emulated

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Trying to use ccid-card-emulated
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 22:13:33 +0000

Hi Patrick

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Patrick Vacek <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to emulate a smartcard. I found section 4 of docs/ccid.txt,
> which appears to do exactly what I'm interested in. However, that
> document is a few years old and references CoolKey, which at this point
> seems obsolete, with OpenSC being the preferred succcessor. I've
> followed the rest of steps with success, and tried registering OpenSC
> with NSS (i.e. modutil -dbdir /etc/pki/nssdb -add "CAC Module" -libfile
> /usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so), but I'm still not seeing my three
> certificates listed on the device as I'd expect.
>
> I'm using QEMU emulator version 2.8.0(Debian 1:2.8+dfsg-3ubuntu2.3).
> I've also tried using QEMU emulator version 2.10.0 (built from source),
> but the interface has changed and the commands from the documentation
> don't work anymore.
>
> 1. Am I correct to assume that OpenSC is the logical successor to
> CoolKey, and should I expect a simple substitution such as that to work?

 That's my understanding too, and it seems Fedora 26 deprecated coolkey.
However, when I tried opensc a few years with qemu/libcacard, it didn't
work. I haven't looked further since.

2. Are there other steps I might be overlooking with OpenSC or with
> getting the certificates recognized on the device?

I would first try to get coolkey module to work, before debuging opensc.
Ideally get some help from opensc developper since qemu should still work
with coolkey.

3. If, as I suspect, that document is no longer up to date, what do the
> steps currently look like to get smartcard emulation working?

They look still pretty ok to me. certutil usage may have changes, but qemu
& coolkey didn't change I think.

What problems did you have when trying to setup following docs/ccid.txt ?
we may want to update the doc.

Thanks
--
Marc-André Lureau