qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SunOS support

From: Peter Tribble
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SunOS support
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:37:35 +0100

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On 22 September 2017 at 16:51, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 22/09/2017 14:05, Peter Maydell wrote:
> successor
> illumos

> for

> others in
> to bear.
> >>
> >> Hi; thanks for getting in touch with us. Kamil Rytarowski (who I've
> >> cc'd) is also interested in keeping Solaris-variant support working.
> >>
> >> Essentially what we need as upstream is:
> >>  * access to a machine which we can use for our continuous
> >>    integration build testing, so we don't break compile
> >>    support for the platform. This is ideally a machine that
> >>    somebody else admins and we just use (because we don't
> >>    want to become solaris/illumos admins ;-)), but failing
> >>    that, instructions on how to get a VM running under
> >>    KVM on Linux would also be OK (that's how we've ended
> >>    up handling the BSDs)
> >
> > I would even reverse the order since now we're handling the BSDs using
> > the VM test infrastructure.  Let's say having both would be best.
>
> I only have the one beefy machine to run VMs on, so the more
> OSes we handle via VMs the more overloaded it gets. Also,
> everything we have as a VM is another thing I have to maintain
> and presumably update from time to time...

Well, we have options.

Tribblix (http://www.tribblix.org/) is probably the easiest and lightest for
a VM. Works fine under KVM (not virtio-scsi, and I've had issues with
virtio networking). Just download the iso, install with

./live_install -B c1t0d0 kitchen-sink qemu

and you're good to go. (That's assuming you have network connectivity
during install, and I'm guessing at the probable disk device. Adding qemu
ought to grab all the dependencies.)

It's not too hard to give access to a running machine, although I
personally don't have any available right now (I could run one up
on AWS). Or the good folks at Joyent might be able to help out - I
can certainly ask them.

--
-Peter Tribble