qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] updating to a u-boot without the case-sensitive filenam

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] updating to a u-boot without the case-sensitive filename clash
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 09:32:22 -0700

On 10/10/2017 07:22 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> I can see a couple of options:
>  (1) wait for next u-boot release (scheduled for Nov 13, 2017),
>      and move to that
>      [downsides: would be in the middle of QEMU's own release cycle,
>       pretty late to fix any problems with the new version;
>       rather a big change to put into stable]
>  (2) move to u-boot current head-of-unstable
>      [downsides: would mean running some random git commit version,
>       also not really very suitable for stable]

It's always difficult to sync the release cycles of disjoint projects.

You had nothing particularly good to say about using a non-released u-boot, so
really you have two options:

  (a) Update u-boot for 2.12 and not 2.11,
  (b) Track u-boot during its release process, noticing and reporting problems,
      and updating to the final release when it appears.  If you go this route,
      you may well have to slip our release if theirs slips.

The second option is not particularly appealing.

Is there another possibility in which we split the packaging to cope with the
current u-boot?  Normally no one builds u-boot; we simply package it for
licensing.  If the packaging were in two parts, one could unpack the first part
only and not encounter the problem.

r~