qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 2/2] KVM: add virtio-pmem driver

From: Dan Williams
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 2/2] KVM: add virtio-pmem driver
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:58:37 -0700

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > This detail is critical to the device design.  What is the plan?
>>
>> yes, this is good point.
>>
>> was thinking of guest sending a flush command to Qemu which
>> will do a fsync on file fd.
>
> Previously there was discussion about fsyncing a specific file range
> instead of the whole file.  This could perform better in cases where
> only a subset of dirty pages need to be flushed.
>
> One possibility is to design the virtio interface to communicate ranges
> but the emulation code simply fsyncs the fd for the time being.  Later
> on, if the necessary kernel and userspace interfaces are added, we can
> make use of the interface.

Range based is not a natural storage cache management mechanism. All
that is it available typically is a full write-cache-flush mechanism
and upper layers would need to customized for range-based flushing.

>> If we do a async flush and move the task to wait queue till we receive
>> flush complete reply from host we can allow other tasks to execute
>> in current cpu.
>>
>> Any suggestions you have or anything I am not foreseeing here?
>
> My main thought about this patch series is whether pmem should be a
> virtio-blk feature bit instead of a whole new device.  There is quite a
> bit of overlap between the two.

I'd be open to that... there's already provisions in the pmem driver
for platforms where cpu caches are flushed on power-loss, a virtio
mode for this shared-memory case seems reasonable.