qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross version migration question (RH specific)

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cross version migration question (RH specific)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:05:49 +0000

* Gaurav Poothia (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some dumb questions about this Red Hat cross version migration
> support matrix:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/sect-kvm_live_migration-live_migration_and_red_hat_enterprise_linux_version_compatibility_
>
> Questions:
> - Are all RHEL 7.x running the same version of QEMU?

They're all a 1.5.3 derivative.

> - Then the forward and backward migration support across minor
> releases (rows 3 and 4 in grid) is trivial right?

Yes, pretty much; we still have to check it of course as we add bug
fixes and things.

> - Does RHEV-H rev the QEMU versions more aggressively across minor versions?

Yes (see the qemu-kvm-rhev packages or in CentOS qemu-kvm-ev)

> - Where can I find a similar cross version migration support matrix for RHEV?

That's a good question; I'm not sure which docs cover that - although
at that level it's not just qemu versions that need considering.
The qemu level is similar to that above though; 6.x inwards is valid,
and some backwards and forwards are allowed within the 7.x range,
even though they're quite different versions of qemu.

Dave