qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding more function keys support

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding more function keys support
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 19:22:15 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Programmingkid wrote:
On Dec 13, 2017, at 4:14 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:49:34PM -0500, Programmingkid wrote:

On Dec 12, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 02:10:41AM -0500, Programmingkid wrote:
On Macintosh keyboards there is a key called fn that is used to give the
function keys more functionality. Does this key exist in the keyboard keys
database?

When you say "Macintosh keyboards" are you talking about the old style
keyboards with Apple's custom ADB connector, or simply Apple branded
USB keyboards ?

USB keyboards.

If its the latter (USB), then please plug it into a Linux machine, and
in a text console (ie not X11) run 'showkey' and press this 'fn' key on
its own and tell me what (if any) hex code gets printed.

There was no response to the fn key.

Doh, I made a mistake - you need to run   'showkey -s'  to get raw scancodes.
Can you try this again, pressing 'fn' on its own, and also press 'fn' in
combination with some function keys.

Sorry but showkey still did not register the fn key being pushed.

I don't know how the fn key is handled but the Linux driver knows about it so maybe it could help to understand:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-apple.c

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan