qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] Use SDL to create an OpenGL ES context for vi

From: Elie Tournier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] Use SDL to create an OpenGL ES context for virglrenderer.
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:08:24 +0000

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 04:22:33PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > > Well, display configuration is going to be rewritten, and while that is
> > > in flight adding new config options isn't a good idea b/c things will
> > > conflict ...
> > I'm wondering how extensive this rewrite is going to be. Did you plan to
> > modify the qemu interface?
> > If someone already start working on this task, can you send me the link to
> > the repository?
> > I will be happy to help if needed.
>
> https://www.kraxel.org/cgit/qemu/log/?h=sirius/display-cmdline
Awesome, thanks. I will definitely have a look to it.

> > > Beside that:  Is a new config option actually needed in the first place?
> > >
> > > Ideally qemu (or sdl) would figure on its own that a full core context
> > > isn't available and try fallback to gles then.
> > I'm fine with this idea.
> > However, I think we still need to add a way to the user to choose the
> > backend he want.
>
> Changing gl from bool to multiple choice looks more useful to me then,
> i.e. have "gl={on,core,gles,off}", where "on" automatically picks "core"
> or "gles" depending on what is available.
I like that solution. ;). I will implement it on top of your work.

> What is the status of the virglrenderer patches btw?
We keep upstreaming no invasive patches.
But with upstream virglrenderer, you will not be able to use a gles backend.
If you want to know more about the current status of the project, you can have
a look to our repo [1].

Currently, we are working through bugs, cleaning up the remaing patches.
Our short term goal is to pass the GLES2 CTS [2] in the guest side.

Regards,
Elie

[1] https://gitlab.collabora.com/jakob/virglrenderer-gles/tree/hacks
[2] https://github.com/KhronosGroup/VK-GL-CTS