qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Apparently fpu/softfloat.c:1374 is reachable

From: Emilio G. Cota
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Apparently fpu/softfloat.c:1374 is reachable
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 16:49:57 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 11:34:56 +0000, Michael Clark wrote:
> BTW how does one hide signed-off-by or cc email addresses with the
> git-send-email workflow?

You just don't.

> Seems like editing the patch after git format-patch is likely the only way
> around for contributors whose wishes I might not have honoured, except
> originally when I was using an advoc albeit buggy workflow, where the Cc’s
> et all we’re later added to the patch headers and not the commits. I’ve
> probably inadvertently violated someone’s wish to keep their email address
> out of the list archives, which is an understandable wish.

If that's their wish I'd say just use the --cc flag; they get to keep
their address hidden from public commit messages, at the expense of (possibly)
being Cc'ed on more emails than they need to. I think it's a
reasonable trade-off.

That said, if they really want to hide their address from others,
you should use --bcc. But then they wouldn't receive the replies.

> This is not an issue with GitHub PR’s as they keep identity information
> differently however slicing up the port for upstreaming has lost some of
> our contributor history. I have made tags before every squash and rebase so
> we can find all history in the riscv repo, as well as previously trying to
> keep personal emails out of the cover letters in the first series. With the
> change to the git-sendemail  workflow i’ve likely regressed here.
>
> I also probably have to manually edit patches to add ‘Cc to the
> riscv-patches mailing list, as it doesn’t seem right to put that email in
> the commit messages.

Isn't Cc'ing riscv-patches an obvious use case for using the --cc flag?
(BTW You can add as many --cc's as you want, and these apply to all patches
in a series.)

                E.

PS. As always, remember to use --dry-run =)