qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Restoring bitmaps after failed/cancelled migration

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Restoring bitmaps after failed/cancelled migration
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 17:00:35 +0300

Hi all.

We now have the following problem:

If dirty-bitmaps migration capability is enabled, persistance flag is dropped for all migrated bitmaps, to prevent their storing to the storage on inactivate. It works ok, persistence itself is migrated through the migration channel. But on source, bitmaps becomes not persistent, so if we, for some reasons, want to continue using source vm, we'll lose bitmaps on stop/start.

It's simple to fix it: just make bitmaps persistent again on invalidate [1].. But I have some questions.

1. What are possible cases? I think about the following:

a. migration cancel or fail, then invalidate
b. migration success, then qmp cont => invalidate
c. migration success, then stop/start (there was no invalidate, so [1] will not work)

2. Is it safe at all, saving bitmaps after inactivate, even without persistence?

Inactive disk implies, that it may be changed by somebody other, isn't it? Is it possible, that target will change the disk, and then we return control to the source? In this case bitmaps will be invalid. So, should not we drop all the bitmaps on inactivate?

--
Best regards,
Vladimir