qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:39:12 -0500

On 06/06/2018 09:57 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 06/06/2018 09:43 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 01:02:53PM +0200, Max Reitz wrote:
Yeah, but why make qcow2 that format?  That's what I completely fail to
understand.

Because why not? It's cheap to add it there and is much easier
than teaching people about a new container format.

tar is not a new container format, but it is a new format to various toolchains - that said, if we popularize tar as the format for including a config file alongside a qcow2 image, it's not that hard to fix the stack to start passing that file around as the new preferred file type.

On a completely different front, 'qcow2' as a file format comes with some psychological baggage. If someone was using it 8 years ago, before we did coroutine optimizations, it was noticeably slower than raw, and relatively easier to get into a corrupted image condition that resulted in data loss. Just one VM lost, and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth, where you are unwilling to trust that file format (even though the file format was not necessarily the cause of the corruption). Marketing-wise, we failed with our improvements ('qcow2v3' is so much more of a mouthful than 'qcow3'), and it took years to flip the defaults from v2 as the default to v3 as the default (moreso in downstream distros than upstream), in part because we couldn't convince people of the improvements they would be gaining by moving to v3. Historically, there's also 'qed' which was promised as a way to fix some of the poor performance of qcow2, but which ended up not being any better than our actual qcow2v3 improvements, so no one ended up switching to that. So, to some extent, various high-level consumers still have the notion that 'raw' files are better/safer/faster than 'qcow2' files because of an anecdote from years ago, even if we have since fixed the speed parity and added locking to eliminate careless data loss.

If we DO add a new tar-file block driver to qemu, that could serve as a marketing opportunity to convince people that the new format has all of the features that you can't get from just a raw file, and does not suffer from the slowness or data corruption they were worried about in qcow2. Thus, even if our new format is just a thin wrapper around a config file plus the existing qcow2v3 we already know and love, the mere fact that it is a new format may get people to move away from raw images in situations where just the name 'qcow2' is unable to do so, at which point we can help them take advantage of the features made possible by qcow2.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266