qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/31] acpi, vhost, misc: fixes, features

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/31] acpi, vhost, misc: fixes, features
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 12:38:29 +0100

On 8 June 2018 at 19:47, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/08/2018 02:52 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> So 'rm ${srcdir}/qemu-version.h ${srcdir}/qemu-options.def' fixed my
>> problems.
>>
>> Should we add a check for this kind of mistakes when running out-of-tree
>> builds? I'll try something.

We do have a rune in the makefile that checks for whether you
have a stale in-tree build and you do an out-of-tree build,
and we also should refuse to do an in-tree build without
generating any extra files. Unfortunately we didn't always
have the rules for the latter correct, so in the past it
was possible to generate stray generated files, which then
lurk around until they cause a problem months later.

thanks
-- PMM