qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel configurations for various Microblaze syst

From: Guenter Roeck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel configurations for various Microblaze systems
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:59:15 -0700

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 05:01:34PM -0300, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On 06/27/2018 03:52 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to add Microblaze "petalogix-ml605" and "xlnx-zynqmp-pmu"
> > to my list of qemu boot tests of upstream and stable release kernels.
>
> Do you mind sharing your tests on this thread?

Nothing secret about it. The test results are always available at
http://kerneltests.org/. The scripts are published at
https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test. My qemu clone (I carry a few
patches on top of upstream qemu) is at https://github.com/groeck/qemu.

> "Who is running QEMU automated tests, and when?"
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-04/msg04695.html
>
> > Unfortunately I have been unable to locate working kernel configurations
> > for the those systems, nor working qemu command lines. I found a few links,
> > but they are all dead.
>
> I got more lucky using the Xilinx downstream code from:
> https://github.com/Xilinx
>
> In particular using their downstream DeviceTree:
>
> https://github.com/Xilinx/device-tree-xlnx
>
> I also used those links:
>
> http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/MicroBlaze
> http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build%20kernel

AFAICS they are all generic, and don't reference specific boards
(other than maybe the possibility to configure those boards). There are
comments such as "start with mmu_defconfig and modify all parameters
which are special on your board". That is great, but trying to do that
for an evaluation board that I don't own and just try to get running
under qemu is a bit difficult since I don't really know what I am doing.

The best I was able to accomplish was to boot petalogix-ml605 without crash,
but with no console output either. I could try to debug further, but I don't
really want to waste my time.

Thanks,
Guenter