qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [PULL 25/26] block: Remove deprecated -drive

From: Peter Krempa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [PULL 25/26] block: Remove deprecated -drive option serial
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:19:27 +0200

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 08:59:44 +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Peter Krempa <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 17:01:22 +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 16:39:31 +0200
> >> Peter Krempa <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> > An option is to do a automatic testing where one of this approaches will
> > be enabled. For that you need a way to generate configurations which
> > libvirt would use in real life. We have a rather big collection of XMLs
> > which describe a valid configuration but the problem with using them on
> > a real qemu is that most of the disk paths/network targets/other
> > resources are made up and making them work with a real qemu would range
> > from being painful to being impossible.
>
> I sympathize.  However, it's not clear which one's harder, providing
> environments for a sufficiently wide range of configurations (possibly
> mockups), or hacking QEMU to do nothing but check configuration.  QEMU

That's the main reason I think we should make it possible to use the
data for the 'qemuxml2argv' test suite in libvirt. We require that new
features are covered by this so that means that the testsuite is
possibly the most comprehensive collection of libvirt configurations I
know of.

It's not perfect as we in many cases don't test any possible
value but just try to excercise the code to generate them and others are
left behind.

Another historical problem was that we've defined a set of capabilities
rather than using any real example to do this so many of the
commandlines generated and tested are basically impossible to get in
real life.

That's why I added testing with real capabilities. We'll just need to
generate a bunch of files to achieve full coverage here.

> isn't designed for that, and configuration checking is intertwined with
> everything else.  Complete disentanglement looks impractical to me.  I

I agree. Getting anything special than the real codepath may create
bubbles of problems still. On the other hand we'll need some guidance on
what's sufficient to do to execute the deprecation detection code.

This may require some coding style guidelines in qemu. E.g. no
deprecation warnings after the vCPUs are started. Running a full
operating system to check the warinigns would be utterly impractical.

Preferrably we would get away with starting qemu and waiting for the
monitor to start.

> guess we could do something useful at the QAPI level, though.  Yet
> another reason to qapify the command line...

That would be great, but I think that there's a subset of things that
can be deprecated but can't be expressed by schema. In such case we
still need to run the programatic checks to see.

> > If we start from scratch you then lack coverage.
> >
> >> If we fail with exit(1), can libvirt check any message that is logged
> >> right before that?
> >
> > Yes we currently use this for very early failures which occur prior to
> > the monitor working.

> >> Would that moan loudly that you should poke the libvirt developers if
> >> some kind of testsuite failure is detected? Or am I misunderstanding?
> >
> > Generally it should make somebody complain. But there is a problem.
> > Since we are talking deprecation it can't be enabled by default. And by
> > not making it default most of the users will not enable that option.
>
> I don't think end users should do the work of catching use of deprecated
> features.  It's a CI job.
>
> In a CI context, we don't need fancy QMP infrastructure to communicate
> "you used a deprecated feature", we can get away with printing an
> explanation to stderr and exit(1).  That should make CI fail, and the
> failure should make a developer read the explanation.  To unbreak CI, he
> can either fix the problem right away, or file a BZ and suppress the CI
> failure until it's fixed, say by downgrading --deprecated=error to
> --deprecated=warn.

Definitely. Plain untranslated error message is fine. The only thing is
that it should be easy to detect. exit(1) is that solution. Or rather
exit($VALUE_SPECIFIC_FOR_DEPRECATION) so that we can automatically
discriminate test failures from deprecation warnings.