qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: SRIOV support over Win Hyper-V VM running in

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: SRIOV support over Win Hyper-V VM running in QEMU process on Linux host
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 10:42:52 -0600

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 19:14:45 +0300
"Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 06:51:13PM +0300, Marcel Apfelbaum wrote:
> > Hi

> > QEMU's emulated PCI Express Root Ports do not support ACS yet, however I am
> > not sure ACS is a prerequisite
> > for SR-IOV.

ACS is certainly not a prerequisite for SR-IOV.

> Looks like windows blocks dev assignment in nested VMs without it.
> Thinking about it, doesn't vfio do the same by default? I think vfio has
> a flag to override this though.

IOMMU grouping in Linux takes isolation via ACS and device specific
mechanisms into account, limiting the granularity with which a
userspace driver can claim ownership of devices, but it doesn't
actually prevent enabling SR-IOV on the endpoint.  It just makes it
less useful if your intention is to use SR-IOV for device assignment.
The only overrides for this are out-of-tree.  Thanks,

Alex