qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why do we typedef every struct on QEMU?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why do we typedef every struct on QEMU?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 14:16:18 +0100

On 27 July 2018 at 14:03, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 08:42:05AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> That the code shows anything resembling consistency at all is a
>> testament to humanity's yearning for order within a chaotic world.
>
> Going back to something concrete after this nice philosophical musing:
>
> The coding style checker (checkpatch.pl) seems like a huge success to
> me.  Without it, achieving consistency is futile.
>
> checkpatch.pl defines the true coding style of QEMU - the subset that
> can be automatically checked by patchew.  If we want to follow a coding
> style, implementing the rules in checkpatch.pl is important.

I think that overall if you look at QEMU's code we have a lot of
consistency in that we follow the common "open source Unix C code"
coding style. For instance if you look at:

static BOOL GetSystemName(
    const void *pvSystemStore,
    DWORD dwFlags,
    PENUM_ARG pEnumArg,
    LPCWSTR *ppwszSystemName ) {

you probably recognize immediately that it's Windows style,
and we don't require checkpatch to avoid code that is that
sharply divergent from the cultural norm.

CODING_STYLE has a lot of nitpicky stuff because we mostly
disagree about the edge cases rather than the core things, I think.

thanks
-- PMM