qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on Solaris

From: Michele Denber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on Solaris
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:23:12 -0400

On 08-13-2018 6:08 AM, Peter Tribble wrote:

From the point of view of software such as qemu, divergences should be slight (there are going to be changes around packaging, shipped compilers, but that's true for different Linux distros in the same family). If it builds and works on Solaris, it'll build and work on one of the illumos distributions, and vice versa.
(Although I note that's Solaris 10 mentioned above, which is now EOL, and
may be a little more problematic due to its age.)
I'm still using Solaris 10 because upgrading to Solaris 11 is a giant pain, and they did away with the Java Desktop Environment GUI in 11. I really like the JDE. However, I believe that Solaris 10 programs should also work in Solaris 11. And it looks like Solaris 11 may be the end of the line anyway.

You can certainly run illumos (such as OpenIndiana or Tribblix) in a VM easily,
and freely. I can help with that.

That's for x86, of course. Building on a SPARC platform is a different matter entirely. (Although that's one of the reasons some of us are interested in qemu
in the first place.)
That's exactly why I'm interested. I'd like to declare my independence form Microsoft and Windows but I still have a few important Windows programs that won't run on anything else. One can debate Solaris vx. Linux, but I've made my choice.

            - Michele