qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vm-tests images disks filling up?

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vm-tests images disks filling up?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 19:52:14 +0800

On Fri, 08/17 11:26, Peter Maydell wrote:
> I just ran into a build failure using the tests/vm/ BSD build tests,
> because the NetBSD build image's disk filled up.
>
> Looking more closely there seemed to be 9 stale build trees in
> the VM's /var/tmp/qemu-test.* , which is why the disk was full
> (they'd used up about 18GB between them).
>
> The other VMs (freebsd, openbsd) also had the same problem of
> /var/tmp gradually filling with stale trees, they just hadn't
> quite run out of space yet...
>
> What's the process for managing the disk space on these images?
> How are stale or completed build trees deleted ?

Ouch. We used to always use snapshot when running tests until 983c2a777be.

One possibility is to use a fixed temp dir (image locking makes sure no two
tests boot the same image concurrently). I.e. something like:

  $ sed -i -e 's:cd.*mktemp.*:mkdir -p /var/tmp/qemu-vm-test; cd
/var/tmp/qemu-vm-test:' tests/vm/*

Fam