qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] racing between pause_all_vcpus() and qemu_cpu_stop()

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] racing between pause_all_vcpus() and qemu_cpu_stop()
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 09:01:11 +0100

On 1 October 2018 at 19:12, Alex Bennée <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would have thought the reset code should be scheduled via safe async
> work to run in the vCPU context. Why should the main loop get involved
> at all here?

The reset code is much older than the safe-async support for
running things in the vCPU context... Also, does the safe
async support work with KVM/HAX/Hypervisor.Framework? The
reset code has to handle all those, not just TCG.

Plus, which vCPU thread would you use? We're resetting
the entire system, so privileging an arbitrary vCPU
thread to do that doesn't seem any less odd than using
the main loop thread.

thanks
-- PMM