qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] strange situation, guest cpu thread spinning at ~100%,

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] strange situation, guest cpu thread spinning at ~100%, but display not yet initialized
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 17:51:11 +0000

* Chris Friesen (address@hidden) wrote:
> On 11/2/2018 10:55 AM, Alex Bennée wrote:
> >
> > Chris Friesen <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Given the "not initialized" message on the console, I wasn't sure
> > > whether the kernel had even started yet.
> >
> > There will be a lot that happens between the kernel decompressing and
> > some sort of video hardware output being started. You didn't say what
> > guest architecture you were booting or what your qemu command line was.
> > You might want to look at enabling the serial console and seeing if you
> > get some clues from that.
>
> The qemu commandline is in the "ps" output in my original message. Guest
> arch is x86-64.
>
> The serial console is a good idea, will try that.

This is ringing a bell; if it's actually suck in the BIOS, then please:
  a) Really make sure all your vCPUs are actually pinned/free on real
CPUs
  b) I suspect it is
   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-08/msg00470.html

   so the fix is Fam's 'aio: Do aio_notify_accept only during blocking
aio_poll'.  I see you're running the qemu-kvm-ev from centos, if I read
the version tea-leaves right, then I think that patch is in the
2.10.0-21.el7_5.7.1 package I can see.

Dave