qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to emulate block I/O timeout on qemu side?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to emulate block I/O timeout on qemu side?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 11:49:55 -0600

On 11/2/18 3:11 AM, Dongli Zhang wrote:
Hi,

Is there any way to emulate I/O timeout on qemu side (not fault injection in VM
kernel) without modifying qemu source code?

You may be interested in Rich's work on nbdkit. If you don't mind the overhead of the host connecting through NBD, then you can use nbdkit's delay and fault-injection filters for inserting delays or even run-time-controllable failures to investigate how the guest reacts to those situations

For instance, I would like to observe/study/debug the I/O timeout handling of
nvme, scsi, virtio-blk (not supported) of VM kernel.

Is there a way to trigger this on purpose on qemu side?

Thank you very much!

Dongli Zhang

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer