qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] 3.1.0-rc{0,1} doesn't start

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] 3.1.0-rc{0,1} doesn't start
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 10:43:30 +0000

cc'ing in Paolo, Eduardo and Robert

* address@hidden (address@hidden) wrote:
> hello
>
> I'm building qemu from source and happily using it since a bit
> (2.3.0)
>
> Since 3.1.0-rc0 (including latest 3.1.0-rc1) I'm no more able to start
> qemu, getting:
>
>     ----8<----
>     install:115> qemu
>     qemu: error: failed to set MSR 0x10a to 0x0
>     qemu:
> /home/balducci/tmp/install-us-d/qemu-3.1.0-rc1.d/qemu-3.1.0-rc0/target/i386/kvm.c:2185:
>  kvm_put_msrs: Assertion `ret == cpu->kvm_msr_buf->nmsrs' failed.
>     Aborted
>     ---->8----
>
> I have no idea about what the reason might be, apologies.

Thanks for the detailed error report.
MSR 0x10a is one of the new ones from the recent round of security
things:
    #define MSR_IA32_ARCH_CAPABILITIES      0x10a

That only went in recently so is probably why you're seeing it
in 3.1.

> Actually, I have found a recent (2018-10-16) post which might be
> related to this (it mentions the same error message from qemu):
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/16/440; but I'm not in the position to
> go through. AFAICS, the commit mentioned in the link is present in the
> 4.19.2 kernel I'm using, so...?

That's a different MSR number so is probably unrelated.

> I can add that 3.0.0 works nicely (everything else unchanged,
> including running kernel 4.19.2)
>
> OTOH, 3.1.0-rc0 dumps the same error message if I boot into 4.17.14 or
> 4.18.16 kernels.
>
> I enclose my specs hoping that somebody can spot where the problem
> might be. I will be happy to send any other detail which might be
> useful.
>
> I suspect that this might be some problem on my side, as I couldn't
> find any similar report (apart some old (qemu-2.8.50) threads, that
> didn't help)

Not necessarily; can you tell me:
  a) At what point does it fail - immediately when booting the guest?
     Some time during the boot? Later?
  b) What guest does it happen on?

> thanks a lot in advance for any hint/help
>
> ciao
> gabriele
>

> Here are my specs:
>
> # --------------------------------
> # command to run qemu is:
> qemu -m 2G /opt/windog  \
>     -accel kvm,thread=multi \
>     -netdev user,id=net0,smb=/home/balducci \
>     -device rtl8139,netdev=net0
>
> # --------------------------------
> # qemu build configuration:
> --prefix=/opt/stow.d/versions/qemu-3.1.0-rc1/usr
> --libdir=/opt/stow.d/versions/qemu-3.1.0-rc1/usr/lib64
> --sysconfdir=/opt/stow.d/versions/qemu-3.1.0-rc1/etc
> --localstatedir=/var/run
> --docdir=/opt/stow.d/versions/qemu-3.1.0-rc1/usr/share/doc/qemu
> --target-list=x86_64-softmmu
> --audio-drv-list=alsa
>

> # --------------------------------
> install:154> uname -sr
> Linux 4.19.2

> install:155> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 21
> model           : 48
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor

OK, older AMD cpu, so a little less tested perhaps, maybe why
others haven't sene it.

Dave