qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NSIS - including DLL dependencies for Windows

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NSIS - including DLL dependencies for Windows
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:19:04 +0000

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 10:50, Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 02:45:13PM +1100, Adam Baxter wrote:
> > Hi,
> > How do I gather and include the required DLLs (SDL, zlib etc) in the NSIS
> > installer? (and also in a standalone build to be zipped up, but that's less
> > important)
> >
> > I noticed the wiki doesn't really mention bundling dependencies anywhere.
> >
> > The official unofficial windows builds are documented at
> > https://qemu.weilnetz.de/FAQ but this doesn't cover building the actual
> > installer.
>
> Yeah, this is a pretty major ommision in QEMU's build rules for the NSIS
> installer making it pretty much useless as is. We really need to expand
> it so that it can resolve the dlls that qemu .exe's need, locate them
> on the host and bundle them into the installer automatically.

I think my concern here potentially is a licensing one -- if we don't
actually ship installer binaries then that's fine for us, but an
installer script that automatically pulls in DLLs for glib and others
is a bit of a footgun for anybody that uses it since it will very likely
create an installer binary that is very difficult to ship to anybody
whilst remaining compliant with the licenses for our dependencies.

thanks
-- PMM