qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 0/3] intel_iommu: support scalable mode

From: Yi Sun
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 0/3] intel_iommu: support scalable mode
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 21:47:54 +0800

Intel vt-d rev3.0 [1] introduces a new translation mode called
'scalable mode', which enables PASID-granular translations for
first level, second level, nested and pass-through modes. The
vt-d scalable mode is the key ingredient to enable Scalable I/O
Virtualization (Scalable IOV) [2] [3], which allows sharing a
device in minimal possible granularity (ADI - Assignable Device
Interface). As a result, previous Extended Context (ECS) mode
is deprecated (no production ever implements ECS).

This patch set emulates a minimal capability set of VT-d scalable
mode, equivalent to what is available in VT-d legacy mode today:
    1. Scalable mode root entry, context entry and PASID table
    2. Seconds level translation under scalable mode
    3. Queued invalidation (with 256 bits descriptor)
    4. Pass-through mode

Corresponding intel-iommu driver support will be included in
kernel 5.0:
    https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2985279.html

We will add emulation of full scalable mode capability along with
guest iommu driver progress later, e.g.:
    1. First level translation
    2. Nested translation
    3. Per-PASID invalidation descriptors
    4. Page request services for handling recoverable faults

To verify the patches, below cases were tested according to Peter Xu's
suggestions.

    |         |                      w/ Device Passthr
|                     w/o Device Passthr                         |