[Qemu-discuss] Old qcow2 images with snapshot don't correctly loadvm

From: Giovanni Toraldo
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Old qcow2 images with snapshot don't correctly loadvm
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:43:39 +0100

Hi,

we are trying to migrate an old server with qemu-kvm-0.11.0 to a more
recent Debian Squeeze.

Unfortunately, we tried both with 0.12.5+dfsg-5+squeeze8 and
1.0+dfsg-8~bpo60+1, but resuming the VMs via -loadvm (VM snapshots are
important for us since this is a jukebox of legacy applications, and
we have ~100 qcow2 VM), make them don't boot correctly (black screen
forever).

Instead, removing the -loadvm option, make VM bootstrap correctly
(without using the snapshot) as expected.

I imagine that something is changed between the v.0.11 release and
v.0.12 release that broke the memory snapshots of the old version.

There is something that we could try before manually recreating the
snapshot for every single VM?

Since the snapshot is stored in the qcow2 image, I tried to:
* run a qemu-img check: a LOT of errors are printed, but the image
will boot correctly without using the snapshot.
* run a qemu-img convert from qcow2 to qcow2: worked but on the
destination image the snapshot was not present.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Giovanni Toraldo
http://gionn.net/about-me