Re: [Qemu-discuss] Using qemu-arm as an interpreter

From: Dave Flogeras
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Using qemu-arm as an interpreter
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:08:27 -0300

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> You probably have some symlinks or similar in the glibc sysroot.
> The QEMU -L option isn't really intended to deal with anything
> more than a very simple sysroot with a minimal set of libraries,
> no circular symlinks, etc. It has at least one bug where it will
> go into an infinite loop if the directory structure confuses it.
>
> If the directory looks anything like a full system install then
> chrooting into it will work better.

Hi Peter, thanks for the info.  You're right, I am being lazy and
pointing it at a sysroot that is an entire system (in fact I do chroot
into it for other reasons).  However, it is useful to me to run my
automated regressions outside of the chroot.  I think I can do it with
the following changes (in case this helps anyone else):

qemu-arm -L /path/to/my/cross-compiled-glibc ./my_binary

However that only works for C programs, not linked to anything other
than glibc and friends.  For C++ I could build statically, but that is
undesirable and also still doesn't scale if I link to any other
libraries.  It seems that qemu-arm obeys LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well, so
something like the following works seemingly fine:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/cross-gcc/runtime:/path/to/other/sysroot/libs
qemu-arm -L /path/to/bare/cross-environment ./my_program

Now it's time to integrate that into my automated build system without
making it too brittle :)

Thanks,
Dave