Re: [Qemu-discuss] Install multiple forks of QEMU

From: Donald R Laster Jr
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Install multiple forks of QEMU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 08:32:35 -0400

Stephen,

  When building the various software packages use the following configuration
--prefix like this:

      --prefix=/opt/qemu/qemu-${VARIANT}

When you do the "make install" you will get the software installed in a
directory structure like this (where VARIANT has values of RISC-V, NVMe, etc.):

       /opt/qemu/qemu-RISC-V/
       /opt/qemu/qemu-NVMe/
       /opt/qemu/qemu-PMEM/

Each directories listed above will have the following directories (from one of
my layouts):

       bin/
       include/
       lib/
       libexec/
       share/
       var/

Under normal installations pacakages are generally installed or "rooted" in
/usr, /usr/local or /opt and the application installed in places such as:

        /usr/bin
        /usr/sbin
        /usr/share

As a result --prefix will allow for packages to installed in different
locations as well.

  Keep in mind you would need to use absolute PATH settings or vary your PATH
settings to get the variant you want.

  I use this technique for having multiple versions of JAVA, ANT, MAVEN, and
other software on my systems as well.

  Don