[Qemu-discuss] Windows 10 Home USB Install

From: A. Wan
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Windows 10 Home USB Install
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:33:03 -0800

I am trying to install Windows 10 Home (USB edition) in QEMU 2.7.0.  My machine (Intel NUC6i3SYH) boots UEFI from sda then the host (based on Linux from Scratch 7.10) runs entirely in memory.

This was how I partitioned the disk.

sda1 EFI System Partition
sda2 Microsoft Reserved
sda3 Microsoft Basic Data (WINDOWS)
sda4 Microsoft Basic Data (WIN_BACKUP)
sda5 Linux filesystem

sdc Windows 10 Home USB

I also downloaded the latest stable virtio drivers (0.1.126)

qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu core2duo -m 2G -L /usr/share/qemu -bios OVMF.fd -drive file=/dev/sdc,media=cdrom,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -drive file=/dev/sda,media=disk,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -drive file=/lfs/sources/virtio/virtio-win_amd64.vfd,format=raw,cache=none,readonly,if=floppy -vga std -enable-kvm -display vnc=:0

I was able to start Windows 10 Setup until the point where I was asked to "Select the driver to install".

I selected the Red Hat VirtIO SCSI Driver for Windows 10 but Setup gave me "no new device drivers found" and I was back to the same screen.

I "Browse" for device drivers again.  This time around I could even see my "WINDOWS" (C:) and "WIN_BACKUP" (E:) drives in the browser.  I also saw the Windows 10 USB (X:).

I don't understand why Setup didn't just let me install Windows 10 into one of drive C: or E:?

What am I missing?

Alex