[Qemu-discuss] Method to emulate external registers

From: Wu, Michael Y [US] (MS)
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Method to emulate external registers
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:19:52 +0000

Hi,

I’ve been doing some bare metal programming using the powerpc system emulator. I was able to run some of my code using the g3beige system emulation. I set up break points in GDB to validate that it works.

My next step is to emulate some external registers. Simply a powerpc address will be mapped to a register. My plan is to write a bare metal program that will access the contents of a given powerpc address by writing and reading. I was thinking of using a PCI memory peripheral and the powerpc memory addresses would be mapped to areas within the memory peripheral. Would this be too difficult to implement for a bare metal program?

I have very little limited experience with emulators so I thought I would ask to see if anyone has tips or suggestions.

Thanks!