Re: [Qemu-discuss] Solaris guest OS support on Qemu

From: Mike Russo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Solaris guest OS support on Qemu
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:17:02 +0000

Are you talking about Solaris/SPARC or Solaris/x86? I only have experience on
SPARC and sorry but you can't really boot Solaris 10 or higher at this time.
But you can do up to Solaris 9 on 32-bit sun4m SPARC and it works very well.
You just need to have it pretend to be a SPARCstation-20 or something and use
the original Sun firmware files. Those can be had and good instructions at:
http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html

Many bugs have been fixed in QEMU 2.8.1 and higher and that is what I recommend
you use for what seems like excellent support for all binaries, everything we
have thrown at it.

BUT we're still really waiting on 64-bit support. There is some progress on
this front
(http://tyom.blogspot.com/2016/10/qemu-sun4vniagara-target-went-public.html)
with a bootable Solaris 10 image on niagara, BUT it is hard to configure and no
one has implemented the PCI bus for this architecture and so there is no
networking support there.

--

Michael Russo, Systems Engineer PaperSolve, Inc. 268 Watchogue Road Staten
Island, NY 10314 Your random quote for today: "You'll pay to know what you