Re: [Qemu-discuss] Setting a interface name with qemu-bridge-helper?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Setting a interface name with qemu-bridge-helper?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 08:12:28 +0100

On 14.01.2018 11:25, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> I think vlan number links different VM instances in a same virtual net
> (as physical cables) VM1 & VM2 in vlan=0 ; VM3 in vlan=1

Note sure whether I've got you right, but just in case: The 'vlan'
parameter does not influence any tap/bridge settings. It's an
QEMU-internal thing only. QEMU can emulate network hubs and the vlan
parameter is used to specify the number of the *internal* hub where the
network interface should be connected to.

Since that is pretty confusing (many people get that wrong) and the
'vlan' parameter is named very badly (it has nothing to do with 802.1Q
and other VLAN concecpts), it has been marked as deprecated in the
latest versions of QEMU, and likely will be removed in a future version.
If you're still using it, it might be a good idea to switch now to the
"modern" -netdev syntax instead if possible.

 Regards,
  Thomas