Re: [Qemu-discuss] No IP in net interface when using socket netdev

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] No IP in net interface when using socket netdev
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:27:14 +0100

On 24.01.2018 16:09, Zihan Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help, but I don't see how I can assign a static IP to it in
> the command line, neither the '-netdev socket' option or the '-device
> e1000e' option allows a ip property.

Assigning the IP address to an interface is job of the OS that uses the
interface, so you've got to do this in the guest.

> I tried to manually assign one inside
> guest VM, but it seems not working, I still can't ping each other, they are
> in the same subnet.

If that does not work, you could try to use a network sniffer like
tcpdump or wireshark in one of the guests to verify whether the packets
get through at all or not. Or try the network sniffing feature of QEMU
to see whether you can capture some packets from the other side:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#Network_Monitoring

 HTH,
  Thomas