Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Apple hyphervisor.framework availability

From: Brendan Simon (eTRIX)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Apple hyphervisor.framework availability
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:41:33 +1100

On 2/1/18 9:11 pm, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>> Hi, the last two patches in the branch are not complete. For the rest I
>> have already sent a pull request, so QEMU 2.12 will have initial support
>> for hv.framework!
>>
>> Paolo
>
> OK.  I'll keep monitoring your hvf branch for updates and the main
> qemu repo too.

I've been pulling qemu master, building and invoking a Win 7 Pro guest
with hvf acceleration (running on a MacBook Pro host with i7, 16GB DRAM,
1TB SSD).

My impression is it is not as fast as it should/could be.  My baseline
is Veertu Desktop (which also uses Apples Hypervisor Framework).  Veertu
is blindingly fast compared to qemu/hvf, VirtualBox and even VMWare.

Also, qemu seems to crash if left for a period of time (in the order of
hours).  No response at all.  No cursor movement or anything.  I have to
force quit the application.

I'm reasonably happy with Veertu, but it has a few bugs (networking
stops, and lack of usb support).  The biggest problem is that there is
very little development on it.

My hope is that qemu/hvf will be able to match the performance of Veertu
(I presume that's possible) and have good stability with networking and
usb support, as well as obviously being an active project.

Is anyone actively working/testing/profiling the hvf accelerator to
improve it's performance and robustness?

What can users do to provide information for developers to make such
improvements?

Thanks, Brendan.