Re: [Qemu-discuss] Windows 10 vm's reboot only after issuing the command

From: Donald R Laster Jr
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Windows 10 vm's reboot only after issuing the command twice
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 14:26:53 -0500

Sebastian Arcus wrote on 03/04/2018 09:57 AM:

> On 03/03/18 01:36, Donald R Laster Jr wrote:
>> Sebastian,
>>
>>    Could you be dealing with a locked screen where the first reboot command
>> is sending a "ctl-alt-del" that unlocks the screen and the second reboot
>> command send a second "ctl-alt-del" that is actually telling Windows-10 to
>> reboot?
>>
>>    One way that might be useful to see if that is the case is to connect to
>> the Windows 10 console and then send the reboot commands.  You could see if
>> the reboot command is doing someone on the console screen.
>
> Thank you Don. I've done more testing and I am slightly more confused,
> although I think I am making progress:
>
> 1. If I am on on the login screen (through vnc or rdp) or already logged in,
> both shutdown and reboot commands work
> 2. If I have logged in, but then locked the screen, neither shutdown nor
> reboot work, no matter how many times I send them.
>
> It is starting to sound like a Windows specific problem, so I will get back
> to researching whatever registry settings might be available.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestions

Sebastian,

  From what you are describing check what the shutdown and reboot command are
trying to do.  If they are trying to send a "ctl-alt-del" sequence and the
screen is locked I would expect Windows to basically ignore them.  I would try
this:

  1) On the VNC screen do a "ctrl-shift-alt-2" and get to the QEMU command
screen.
  2) Then enter the command "system_powerdown" to see if the system does a
shutdown.

I am running a older version of qemuu but the command screen should be
basically the same.  The sequence "ctrl-shift-alt-1" should put you back on the
Windows-10 console screen.

  The attached script rc.vms is something I wrote to start and stop virtual
machines on my Slackware Linux system.  It uses the qmp port to send commands
to qemu.  It might help.  When I start the VMs on the systems running VMs I
have the command argument:

        -qmp unix:/tmp/.qemu_control_XXXXX,server,nowait

added, where XXXXX is a port number.  The rc.vms script uses this to talk to
the qemu command interface.  The file /etc/virtual_machines/qemu_vm.conf
contains command to start the VMs.  The commands in the file are like this:

        /vms/Network/DNS_Server_1/VM_Start.sh
        sleep 60
        /opt/laster/sbin/listvms
        sleep 10

The attached script listvms is used to list the VMs that are running. The
scripts VM_Start.sh are used to configure and start the VMs. I also use the QMP
command.

  Don

Donald R. Laster Jr.
25 Heidl Ave
West Long Branch, NJ 07764

Email : address@hidden
        address@hidden (Cell)

Phone : (732) 263-9235         (Home Evening)
        (732) 263-9236         (Home Office)
        (978) 392-8860 x4925   (Corp Apt)
        (732) 539-5658         (Cell)
        (732) 263-9280         (Fax)

   Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
   a man's character, give him power.  -- Abraham Lincoln