Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphic

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphics support?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 09:32:29 +0100

On 21 May 2018 at 00:26, Ciro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
> Do you know which options I might need to add to my  QEMU -M virt
> command to make it open a graphic window (and hopefully show the
> CONFIG_LOGO penguin)?
>
> For example on QEMU v2.12.0, the following boots fine but does not
> open an SDL graphical window like an analogous x86 command would:
>
> qemu-system-aarch64 \
> -serial mon:stdio \
> -M virt \
> -append 'root=/dev/vda console=ttyAMA0' \
> -cpu cortex-a57 \
> -kernel Image \
> -drive file='rootfs.ext2.qcow2,if=virtio,format=qcow2' \

I'm guessing this command line is truncated. In general assuming
you compiled QEMU with graphics support you'll get a graphical
window unless you specifically turn it off with -nographics or
-display none or similar. (For instance just "qemu-system-aarch64
-M virt" will bring up a gtk window with the monitor in it,
though it's not a very useful command line for actually doing
anything.)

I haven't used SDL in a long time.

>> I've never tried to use graphics with the virt board (having
>> no need for it), but I believe it ought to work. Feel free
>> to experiment and update the wiki page accordingly.
>>

> Can anyone create an account to edit the wiki nowadays? I've never
> been able to find the create account button and thought it was invite
> only.

It's invite only but only in the sense that we don't have a
self-service page for account creation, because that was
heavily abused by spammers. Any actual human who posts to
qemu-devel asking for an account can have one.

thanks
-- PMM