Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] virtio-console downgrade the virtio-pci-

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] virtio-console downgrade the virtio-pci-blk performance
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:51:15 +0200

On (Thu) 11 Oct 2018 [18:15:41], Feng Li wrote:
> Add Amit Shah.
>
> After some tests, we found:
> - the virtio serial port number is inversely proportional to the iSCSI
> virtio-blk-pci performance.
> If we set the virio-serial ports to 2("<controller
> type='virtio-serial' index='0' ports='2'/>), the performance downgrade
> is minimal.

If you use multiple virtio-net (or blk) devices -- just register, not
necessarily use -- does that also bring the performance down?  I
suspect it's the number of interrupts that get allocated for the
ports.  Also, could you check if MSI is enabled?  Can you try with and
without?  Can you also reproduce if you have multiple virtio-serial
controllers with 2 ports each (totalling up to whatever number that
reproduces the issue).

                Amit

> - use local disk/ram disk as virtio-blk-pci disk, the performance
> downgrade is still obvious.
>

> Could anyone give some help about this issue?
>
> Feng Li <address@hidden> 于2018年10月1日周一 下午10:58写道:
> >
> > Hi Dave,
> > My comments are in-line.
> >
> > Dr. David Alan Gilbert <address@hidden> 于2018年10月1日周一 下午7:41写道:

> > > It sounds odd;  can you provide more details on:
> > >   a) The benchmark you're using.
> > I'm using fio, the config is:
> > [global]
> > ioengine=libaio
> > iodepth=128
> > runtime=120
> > time_based
> > direct=1
> >
> > [randread]
> > stonewall
> > bs=4k
> > filename=/dev/vdb
> > rw=randread
> >
> > >   b) the host and the guest config (number of cpus etc)
> > The qemu cmd is : /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm --device virtio-balloon -m 16G
> > --enable-kvm -cpu host -smp 8
> > or qemu-system-x86_64 --device virtio-balloon -m 16G --enable-kvm -cpu
> > host -smp 8
> >
> > The result is the same.
> >
> > >   c) Why are you running it with iscsi back to the same host - why not
> > >      just simplify the test back to a simple file?
> > >

> > Because my ISCSI target could supply a high IOPS performance.
> > If using a slow disk, the performance downgrade would be not so obvious.
> > It's easy to be seen, you could try it.
> >

> > > Dave

> > > --
> > > Dr. David Alan Gilbert / address@hidden / Manchester, UK