Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting a QEMU instance within a QEMU instance using

From: Kaushik Datta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting a QEMU instance within a QEMU instance using KVM doesn't work
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 18:45:53 +0000

Thanks again Peter.  The "-machine virtualization=on" argument for booting the
host QEMU fixed everything.  I can now properly boot the guest QEMU on top of
the host QEMU without any issues.

-Kaushik

On 2/6/19, 7:06 AM, "Peter Maydell" <address@hidden> wrote:

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:50, Kaushik Datta <address@hidden> wrote:

    > Thank you for the prompt reply, Peter.  Based on your recommendations, I
downloaded the HEAD of QEMU's master branch a few hours ago and re-ran the test
below with the "virt" machine model.  After booting, I checked dmesg's KVM
messages:

    > [   10.645543] kvm [1]: HYP mode not available

    Are you enabling EL2 by passing QEMU the -machine virtualization=on
    argument? By default it will come up with only EL1, and KVM won't run.
    (Other things to watch out for: default CPU is a 32-bit one, so
    pass "-cpu max"; default GIC is GICv2, so you probably want
    -machine gic-version=max to get a GICv3.)

    thanks
    -- PMM