qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu pSeries AIX ADB boot

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu pSeries AIX ADB boot
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:11:57 +0200

Am Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:15:59 -0500
schrieb Michael Sabino <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> I've been checking out the pSeries code for AIX boot in qemu in Alexander
> Graf's repository. I noticed that by commenting out gen_exception_err in:
> -------
> static inline void gen_inval_exception(DisasContext *ctx, uint32_t error)
> {
> //    gen_exception_err(ctx, POWERPC_EXCP_PROGRAM, POWERPC_EXCP_INVAL |
> error);
> }
> -------
> And booting the AIX bootfile.exe with the boot flags "-s verbose", this
> will result in a kernel abend which drops you into the Full-Fledged AIX
> Debugger!!
>
> You can also pass the boot options "-s trap", which will result in a trap
> to the kernel debugger immediately at kernel init.
>
> I'm going to be looking at this, and see if I can get further in the bootup!

I guess you get the inval_exception because there are some some SPRs
which are not emulated by QEMU yet ("Trying to read invalid spr ...").
You could try to add them to init_proc_POWER7() to see whether the
exception then goes away -- or try "-cpu 970" instead of "-cpu POWER7",
that worked at least a little bit better for me when I did some
experiments with CDlatest.iso.

 Thomas