qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] broken incoming migration

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] broken incoming migration
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 19:31:53 +1000

On 05/30/2013 07:08 PM, Peter Lieven wrote:
> Am 30.05.2013 10:18, schrieb Alexey Kardashevskiy:

>>> Revert the patch. :)
>> I'll wait for 24 hours (forgot to cc: the author) and then post a revert
>> patch :)
>>

> does this problem only occur on pseries emulation?

No idea, really.

> not sending zero pages is not only a performance benefit it also makes
> overcomitted memory usable. the madv_dontneed seems to kick in asynchronously
> and memory is not available immediately.

Ok, I do not mind :)

> what I do not understand if the a memory region is not empty at destination
> due to device tree, firmware etc. it shouldn't be empty at the source as well
> so
> in theory this should not be a problem.

This is how it works - first QEMU allocates RAM and put devicetree+firmware
somewhere. Then QEMU starts the guest so the firmware starts, loads the
kernel and then the kernel zeroes the whole (most of?) RAM including the
area where the firmware used to be.

Now we migrate. If the source guest is in the kernel already, then it does
not know about the memory area previously occupied by the firmware, it is
just an empty page. If the source guest is still in the firmware, then
those pages are not empty and they are perfectly migrated.

--
Alexey